India launches its first-ever time-tabled goods train between HYD & DEL
July 24, 2020: South Central Railway (SCR) of Indian Railways has launched India’s first-ever Cargo Express, a time-tabled goods train between Hyderabad and New Delhi on every Wednesday.
July 24, 2020: South Central Railway (SCR) of Indian Railways has launched India’s first-ever Cargo Express, a time-tabled weekly goods train between Hyderabad and New Delhi.
Scheduled to start service on August 5, 2020, the train will move freight between Sanath Nagar in Hyderabad and Adarsh Nagar in New Delhi. SCR has taken this as a pilot project for a period of six months.
Gajanan Mallya, general manager, South Central Railway, said, “The concept will be beneficial to agriculture producers, traders, cargo movers, small and medium/ mini plant owners who will be able to move their cargo in record transit time at very low tariffs. Further, since both the originating and destination stations nominated are major cities, it would be beneficial to huge number of customers in and around these cities.
Non-bulk commodity segments
“Generally, it is seen that only those commodities are being moved by freight trains which are bulk in nature and require transportation of huge quantity by a single train by the customers. Moreover, all these freight trains are generally loaded with a single commodity. However, with the gradual increase in the market for transportation on non-bulk commodity segments, it is imperative that Railways take steps to attract this segment of traffic as well (apart from what is being already carried by Parcel trains,” said the release.
First of its kind Freight Cargo Express train of Indian Railways to start from South Central Railway from 5th August— Ministry of Railways (@RailMinIndia) July 24, 2020
A time tabled Goods Train between Hyderabad and Delhi is being started to transport even non-bulk commodities
This is a pilot project for a period of Six months. pic.twitter.com/EDujj1uutj
Features of Cargo Express
1. For the first time in nearly four decades, to aid the small and medium-sized customers, Indian Railways is permitting wagon level indenting, i.e. customers having even one wagon material of 60 tonnes approximately can book their cargo on this train.
2. This train will run as per the scheduled departure and arrival timings and days at both ends. The transit time to cover a distance of around 1700 km between Sanath Nagar in Hyderabad to Adarsh Nagar in New Delhi away is just 34 hours with an average speed of this cargo express train will be 50 KMPH.
3. The train departs every Wednesday evening from Hyderabad and reaches Delhi on Friday morning.
4. The average freight tariff from Hyderabad to Delhi and vice-versa is Rs 2,500 per tonne, depending on the type of commodity loaded. It is almost 40% lesser than charges applicable by road and also the existing railway parcel tariff.
5. The Cargo Express can be tracked on FOIS on a real-time basis.
6. The loading/unloading facility is also available at both Sanath Nagar (Hyderabad) and Adarsh Nagar (Delhi) Goods Sheds at competitive rates.
Helpline numbers: 9701371976 or 040-27821393 for any enquiries in this regard or to register and book the wagons.